SUNDAY, Aug. 10 (HealthDay News)Because growing older impacts the physique's potential to answer summer time warmth, older adults are significantly at danger for heat-related sicknesses akin to warmth stroke, warmth fatigue, warmth cramps and warmth exhaustion, based on the U.S. National Institute on Aging (NIA).
Factors which will improve the danger of heat-related sicknesses embody:
- Age-related adjustments to the pores and skin akin to poor blood circulation and inefficient sweat glands.
- Heart, lung and kidney illnesses, in addition to any sickness that causes common weak spot or fever.
- High blood strain or different situations that require dietary adjustments. For instance, folks on salt-restricted diets could also be at elevated danger for heat-related sicknesses. However, salt drugs shouldn't be used with out first consulting a health care provider.
- The potential to sweat may be impaired by medicines akin to diuretics, sedatives, tranquilizers and by sure coronary heart and blood strain medicine.
- Taking a number of medicine for varied situations. However, it's necessary to proceed taking prescribed medicines and talk about attainable issues with a health care provider.
- Being considerably obese or underweight.
- Drinking alcoholic drinks.
- Being dehydrated.
The danger of heat-related sicknesses can be elevated by life-style elements akin to scorching dwelling quarters, lack of transportation, overdressing, visiting overcrowded locations, and never understanding climate situations.
Older adults, significantly these at particular danger, ought to keep indoors on scorching and humid days, particularly when there’s an air air pollution alert in impact, the NIA recommends. Those with out followers or air conditioners ought to go to air-conditioned locations akin to procuring malls, film theaters, libraries or cooling facilities operated by social service businesses and senior citizen facilities. If attainable, older adults ought to get household or mates to offer them rides to air-conditioned areas.
- If you watched somebody is affected by a heat-related sickness, the NIA recommends the next:
- Get the particular person out of the solar and into an air-conditioned or different cool place. Have them lie down and relaxation.
- Offer fluids akin to water, fruit and vegetable juice. Don't provide alcohol or caffeinated drinks.
- Encourage the particular person to bathe, bathe or sponge off with cool water.
- Apply a chilly, moist material to the wrists and/or neck, locations the place arterial blood passes near the floor and may be cooled by the chilly cloths.
The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has extra about warmth sickness and the aged.
SOURCE: U.S. National Institute on Aging, information launch, July 31, 2008
Last Updated: Aug. 10, 2008
Copyright © 2008 ScoutNews, LLC. All rights reserved.